Nestled on a hilltop deep in Masai lands and overlooking vast savannah plains, Maji Moto Eco Camp is a small, environmentally-sensitive retreat.
Operated by Masai people from the nearby village of Maji Moto, a stay here will immerse you not only in the intense natural beauty of the Loita Hills, but also in the ancient culture and knowledge of the Masai.
Maji Moto, in the Loita Hills of southwest Kenya, is a 3-hour drive from Nairobi and on the way to the world-famous Masai Mara National Reserve.
The drive from Nairobi includes the stunning views from and descent down the Great Rift Valley Escarpment. For travelers intending to visit the Masai Mara, Maji Moto is a perfect place to rest and acclimate yourself to the region, and its only one hour from the Sekenani Gate.
Your Host and guide:
Sankale Ole Ntutu is your chief host here at Maji Moto Eco Camp. He is a Masai tribesman from the Purko clan.
Born in Maji Moto, his grandmother nurtured a passion in him for knowledge of the natural world, its plants and animals, and their ways and uses. The Masai staff are quick to share their world, and visits to their compounds, school or the village happen as easily as walking a path, listening to Sankale as he leads you through his homeland.
- The camp is equipped with many Mountain Bikes (helmets too) for short trips away from camp. Our staff includes several expert cyclists who will lead you on these journeys, and who can take care of any mechanical issues that may arise.
- We have established a relationship with several local schools, and often our visitors decide they wish to help the school and children, sometimes by sponsoring a student, sometimes by providing the school with needed supplies… a box of pencils… a ream of paper. Small things that mean a
- The name ‘Maji Moto” means “Hot Water”, and this refers to the natural hot spring near the village. Surrounded by trees, a dip in the spring at evening is a refreshing way to soak away the days exertions.
- Walk with Masai warriors through the hills, observing plants and animals through Masai eyes. You will get the knowledge of the Maasai culture, the natural world, its plants, animals and their uses.
- Loita Plains host numerous wildlife like: Giraffe, Wildebeest, Zebra, Eland… as well as many different bird species. Your local Maasai guide will be your field guide full of interesting facts of wildlife and nature that you will meet while on walk.
Policies of Maji Moto Eco Camp
Amenities of Maji Moto Eco Camp