4 Days Masai Mara Migration-
Length:3 nights / 4 days, you may extend to suit your needs
Group Size: Flexible – you tell us how many in your party
Location:Masai Mara National Game Reserve, Kenya
Departure Dates: To suit you
Transport from Nairobi:Fly-in
This brief and intense Big 5 safari will get you front-row seat action as the Great Wildebeest Migrationmakes it’s way across the border from Serengeti, where most of the great migration occurs. Our chosen dates and camps are to maximize on sightings, based on where the herds are at the time.
We recommend a minimum of 4 days to enjoy the spectacle of the greatest show on earth, and can tailor your safari to include more days, and to combine it with other sensational wildlife encounters in the region. Your Masai Mara safari will begin and end with a flight back to Nairobi, where you will be met and escorted to your to you Hotel or to Jomo Kenyatta airport for you outbound flight. You will be met at the national park airfield by your lodge guide.
More about the great wildebeest migration:
The Greatest Show on Earth is in fact an ongoing process and not an event. 1,5 to 2 million wildebeest, zebras and various antelope species form the largest land mammal migration on Earth as they continuously follow the rains and good grazing across the vast plains of Masai Mara in Kenya and the Serengeti in Tanzania
Along the way they cross many rivers, a sometimes chaotic and dramatic process if the river banks are steep and the water deep and fast flowing. Crocodiles trawl the murky waters and lions, leopards, cheetahs and hyenas line the banks as they too make the most of the situation.
The great migration follows a clockwise direction, with exact timing varying every year, depending on the rains. January and February usually sees most of the herds giving birth in the southern Serengeti, when the grass is green and highly nutritious. During March and April, the grasses have dried up and the herds start moving northwards through the Serengeti, ending up in the Masai Mara area in July. The herds move continually back and forth between the northern Serengeti in Tanzania and Masai Mara in Kenya until late September – with the regular river crossings across the often-treacherous Mara River being a focal point for tourists. After September, the herds start to move back south through the Serengeti, although stragglers will still be seen in the Masai Mara into October.
Day 1: Depart –Mara on domestic flight to the Mara, afternoon game drive overnight at camp
Day 2-3: Two full days of game viewing in Masai Mara
Day 4: Masai Mara, early morning game drive then fly back to Nairobi
Different camps costing for this tour;
- Governors Camp: (Single $2920 Sharing $2251)
- Kichwa Tembo Classic tents: (Single $2419 Sharing 1879)
- Mara Intrepids: (Single $3225 Sharing $2362)
- Mara Engai: (Single $ 2509 Sharing 1909)
- Mara West: (Single $2347 Sharing $2110)
- Ashnil Camp: (Single $2239 Sharing $1807)
- Sand River Camp: (Single $3525 Sharing $2572)
- Meals & Accommodation as per itinerary
- All Park Fees
- Morning and afternoon game drive in Masai Mara National Reserve in a shared open 4×4 safari (Except at Ashnil, they use closed vehicle))
- Return airfare Nairobi-Masai Mara-Nairobi.
- Service of English speaking Driver Guide on Game Drives.
- Flying doctors medical evacuation cover.
- Tips and Gratuities
- Personal Expenses
- Cultural (Masai village visits)
- Travel Insurance.
- Extra activities like Ballooning
- Any other Expenses not mentioned as include